THE MISSISSIPPI ASSOCIATION FOR RETURNING CITIZENS (MARC) provides people already working in the MS prison system, as well as returning citizens, with the tools needed to initiate an effective and long-term prison reentry program. This model is based on the GETTING AHEAD WHILE GETTING OUT REENTRY MODEL that reduces recidivism through learning, building resources, accountability and collaboration. This model can be found in the Getting Ahead Network www.gettingaheadnetwork.com
The reentry program:
- Recruits and trains facilitators to accompany groups of returning citizens for a total of 22 two hour sessions
- Coordinates with prison staff in choosing inmates to participate in the program
- Conducts monthly meetings that provide in-service training and ongoing programming
- Coordinates with existing programs
- Mobilizes a volunteer base to advocate for prison reform as well as provide ongoing support to returning citizens after release.
- Connects returning citizens with needed resources.
- Supports families of returning citizens with information on available resources